Facilitating a DeCal in the Legal Studies Department
Departmental Application Deadlines:
Fall semester: April 1
Spring semester: November 1
Note: The Academic Senate deadlines come after the departmental deadline. The Academic Senate deadline date changes from semester to semester.
1) Follow these instructions on the DeCal website:
2) Resources/Forms on the DeCal website:
3) Attend a DeCal Start-up workshop through the SLC (Student Learning Center):
4) Prepare a 14-week syllabus with course description, reading list, attendance and grading policy, etc.
5) Seek out a faculty supervisor.
6) Complete the Course Proposal Form
7) Write up a ‘Statement of Faculty Supervisor Involvement’
8) Complete the ‘Worksheet to Calculate Workload and Resultant Unit Value’
9) Attach the completed ‘Legal Studies DeCal Course Application Form’
10) Once you have all documents completed and signed by all facilitators and your faculty supervisor, please bring all documents to the Legal Studies Scheduler.
11) The Legal Studies department will obtain the Legal Studies Department Chair signature on your ‘Legal Studies DeCal Course Application Form’, we will also submit the finalized packet to the Academic Senate for approval, schedule a room for your DeCal, and send enrollment codes to you if you would like to use them for your class. You can just have your class be first come, first served.
12) Remember that you are responsible for taking hard copies of your course packet to the DeCal office 213 Eshleman Hall (or submit online if that’s what’s required), Compound 312C, Station 17 in order for your DeCal course to be listed online. Be sure to keep copies of your completed and signed forms for your own records. Check DeCal website for specific instructions.
13) Contact the Legal Studies Scheduler Erika Espinoza email@example.com
for the updated departmental form each semester.