Facilitating a DeCal in the Legal Studies Department
Departmental Application Deadlines:
Fall semester: April 1
Spring semester: November 1
Note: The Academic Senate deadlines come after the departmental deadline. The Academic Senate deadline date changes from semester to semester.
Note: The Legal Studies department will not accept late submissions.
1) Attend a DeCal Start-up workshop through the SLC (Student Learning Center):
2) Prepare a 14-week syllabus with course description, reading list, attendance and grading policy, etc.
3) Seek out a faculty supervisor.
4) Complete the Course Proposal Form
5) Write up a ‘Statement of Faculty Supervisor Involvement’
6) Complete the ‘Worksheet to Calculate Workload and Resultant Unit Value’
7) Attach the completed ‘Legal Studies DeCal Course Application Form’
9) Obtain the ‘Faculty Sponsor Letter of Support’
Here’s a ton of info from the Academic Senate:
10) Once you have all documents completed and signed by all facilitators and your faculty supervisor, please bring all documents to the Legal Studies Scheduler, Erika Espinoza.
11) The Legal Studies department will obtain the Legal Studies Department Chair signature on your ‘Legal Studies DeCal Course Application Form’, we will also submit the finalized packet to the Academic Senate for approval and schedule a room for your DeCal.
12) Remember that you are responsible for submitting the course info online in order for your DeCal course to be listed on the DeCal site. Be sure to keep copies of your completed and signed forms for your own records. Check DeCal website for specific instructions.
13) Contact the Legal Studies Scheduler Erika Espinoza email@example.com
for the updated departmental form each semester.